Prenatal massage is a great way to relax during your pregnancy and let your stress just melt away. It’s also a great time for you to spend some quiet moments alone where you can stop thinking about what the future will bring. But before you book your prenatal massage, there are a few things that you need to know.
Prenatal Massage: Getting Massaged When You’re Pregnant
A massage can be the perfect, low-stress tool for relaxation when you are pregnant, but before you book your appointment for a prenatal massage, there are a few things that you should be aware of.
Is it safe to get a massage while pregnant? It’s a commonly asked question and the answer is yes, but there are a few provisos.
- You should ALWAYS check with your OB/GYN prior to booking an appointment for a prenatal massage. Your doctor will be able to give you advice based on your health history and the current course of your pregnancy. If you have experienced any complications during your pregnancy or previous pregnancies such as high blood pressure, abnormal bleeding, or abdominal pain, your doctor will advise against massage. LISTEN to your doctor!
- You should avoid prenatal massages during your first trimester of pregnancy. During the first trimester, you are going to be experiencing feelings of morning sickness, and a massage at this time can make that feeling worse and even leave you feeling dizzy.
- Always let your massage therapist know ahead of time that you are pregnant. It is best to seek a prenatal massage from a therapist who is familiar with prenatal massage techniques so that they can avoid pressure points that will make you feel uncomfortable during your massage.
- If you are interested in a prenatal massage during your 4th month or later of pregnancy, don’t lie on your back during your massage. Lying on your back can limit blood flow to the placenta (due to the weight of your baby) and cause complications.
Benefits of a Prenatal Massage
Aside from the relaxation that you might feel after a massage, prenatal massage offers a range of other great benefits too including
- Relief from aches and pains related to changing posture during pregnancy.
- Relief from insomnia by releasing stress and muscle tightness.
- An improvement in mood overall.
- Reduced blood pressure
- Improved circulation of oxygen-rich blood throughout the body.
- Reduced collection of fluids in the lower extremities.
- Hormone regulation – research has actually shown that hormones become more balanced as stress decreases and the body begins to relax.
- Headache relief – bringing down higher blood pressure and relieving stress as well as muscle tension can greatly relieve headaches and migraines.
Are You Looking For Massage Services in Pinellas?
If you live in or around Pinellas County and you are looking for massage services, we’ve got a professional team of massage therapists on staff who can help! To make an appointment with one of our top massage artists today give us a call at (727) 201-4579.